If you’ve been following me on social media at ALL, you’ve probably noticed that we got a little Golden Retriever monster, Gino! I know this is a cooking blog, but I like to fill everyone in on my life once in a while. A lot of my readers are family and friends from all over the country (Hi, everyone!) and this is a great way to keep in touch with all of them.
Additionally, a lot of twenty-somethings (aka, all of my friends) decide to get a dog. It’s a great way to see if you’re responsible enough to call yourself an adult – trust me. It’s been a challenge, but I want to share some things that our dogs love so it saves you all some research down the road!
And for all my followers with older furry friends, we’ve got a 7-year-old Goldendoodle, Callie! She’s loving her new friend, but takes advantage of her size by jumping on the bed and escaping Gino’s teeth every once in a while. Here are some doggy-duds we’ve been digging. Click the links to find them online!
- Himalayan Dog Chew: I was a big fan of these because they’re completely digestible, last forever, and are stain-free (yay clean carpets!). When I’m bustling around the house (one room apartment), I like to give Gino one of these to keep him busy forever. We take them away when they get really small, but they’ve lasted about 3 weeks a piece!
- Crazy Dog Training Treats: When you’re shelling out training treats like candy, you don’t want to spend big bucks on them. For under 3 dollars, these are a steal. The dogs love them, and so far, they’ve worked! Gino can officially “sit” at command. The chicken flavor is their favorite!
- KONG Air Dog Squeakair Tennis Balls: Squeaking + Puppy = happy dog. I want Gino to become a big fan of fetching the tennis ball because it’s a GREAT way to tire out a dog! He’s been romping around the house after these squeaky balls. They’re a little more pricy than plain ol’ tennis balls, but they are durable against his sharp teeth and have the extra sound effects!
- KONG Tugger Knots Moose Toy: Two rope pulls, squeaky on the inside, and has tough chewing surfaces. The two dogs love to tug this back and forth and Gino loves to chew on the tough ropes when he’s teething. It’s become one of his favorite toys!
- Petsafe Easy Walk Dog Harness: I CANNOT tell you how great this harness has been. When you’ve got one 60-lb dog and another one rapidly growing, it’s crucial to be able to control them on a walk. Callie’s pulling immediately stopped with this front-attaching harness. Gino is almost big enough to both need one and be able to fit in one! Callie wears a large (I’d recommend that size for all big dogs). A MUST-HAVE for anyone walking their giant pooches!
- Folding Metal Dog Crate: We bit the bullet and got this durable, big dog crate. It’ll be big enough for Gino until he’s full grown and it’s got a side door so it can hide and not take up too much space. With a comfy dog bed inside and a big sheet covering the top and sides, it’s his little cave! You’d be crazy to get a puppy without a crate, and this has become a crucial purchase!
- Dog Waste Bags with Dispenser and Leash Clip: When your dog does his business 5 times a day, these waste bags are a fantastic way to keep the neighbors happy. The leash clip is great for long walks, and they sell them in giant packs on Amazon so you never run out!
- Elevated Dog Feeder: Both Callie and Gino have their own dog feeder so they don’t get greedy and steal each other’s food. The elevated feeders are nice because they eliminate the mess you’ll get when bowls are knocked over. And when he gets big, it’ll be easier for him to eat out of!
Some other tricks –
- Buy your dog beds at Homegoods! They have a great deal on little toys and dog beds. DON’T fall for the crazy prices at PetCo!
- Speaking of PetCo and PetSmart – check out their website before you go shopping. We’ve found coupons that you can print out and save some bucks.
- If you’ve got a CostCo membership, Kirkland has great dog food! We’ve been getting Callie’s food there for eternity, and now Gino uses the puppy food. You’ll save some dollars from the normal pet store.
If you’re thinking about a puppy or are tackling one already, try out some of these great finds! They’ve been lifesavers over the past month. Stay tuned for more Gino pup-dates and great pictures!
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links! Help support An Apple A Day when you purchase through the blog! Thank you!