Instead of a classic doggy “pupdate”, I wanted to share some pet deodorizing secrets I’ve recently uncovered! If your dogs are anything like mine, they enjoy a nice snooze on the couch or a snuggle in our bed, which requires more than laundry. The downside of having pets is that they can completely take over your home – which isn’t the most pleasant thing for guests! Luckily, I’ve found a few tricks that will help remedy the situation.
- Buy a doggy bed with a removable cover for easy cleaning. Washing the cover and any blankets your dog may use on a monthly or biweekly basis is even more important than washing your own sheets when it comes to making your bedroom smell fresh!
- “Clean” your mattress with an easy solution = baking soda and essential oil. Mix 1 cup baking soda with 5-10 drops of your favorite, calming essential oil (lavender, chamomile, and ylang ylang are great options)! Sprinkle on your bare mattress and let rest for 30-45 minutes. Then, vacuum up with your upholstery attachment. You’ll notice a fresh, relaxing scent take over the room! This trick will also work on the bare surface of your doggy beds.
- Pillows need some loving too! Wash your pillows (two at a time) on the gentle cycle with warm water. Then, dry on medium heat for about 25 minutes with a few clean tennis balls in the dryer. They’ll smell fresh and fluffed with the help from the balls! (NOTE! Do not wash foam pillows!) Using pillow covers under the pillow cases can help keep them fresher for a longer period of time.
- Secret Dog Scent Source = their TOYS. Our dogs have a lot of stuffed animals that can carry a doggy-scent that isn’t so pleasant. Washing their toys once a month can keep their toy basket smelling fresh (not with other laundry!).
- Groom your pups! Giving your doggies a bath on a monthly basis will keep them smelling fresh, help with shedding, and make their fur soft and lovable. We use gentle oatmeal shampoo for our pups, since goldens can get dry skin from too much bathing.
- Candles are a pet-owners best friend! I’m a fan of fresh scents like lemon + herbs, amber, and lavender. I’ve found that Target has the best candles for a reasonable price – check out the burn time on the bottom of the candles to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth! Make sure you’re not just “masking” the pet odors – try all the other tips first, and then reward your spring cleaning with a new candle!
- Lastly, on a regular basis zoom around a vacuum and pay attention to nooks and crannies (especially in the cracks of couches!). I have this vacuum and absolutely love it. Make sure to clean out the squishy foam filter every month to keep it smelling fresh! We also use this carpet cleaner about 4 times a year to help with the dirt and grime that the vacuum can’t get. Check out Costco for deals on both of these items throughout the year!
Well, not food related in the least. But, I hope I’ve helped with some tricks of the trade to my fellow pet owners out there! Good luck with your Spring Cleaning!