My mom taught me quite a few things in the kitchen. One of those things is homemade garlic bread, and I am forever grateful. Buying a French baguette at the grocery store is a decision I don’t take lightly – I know it’ll be followed by over-garlicked, buttery, amazing bread. And I need the perfect meal to enjoy it with. And to use leftovers to make homemade croutons – another one of my mother’s culinary gifts.
I have found that meal. Healthified chicken parmesan with zoodles! A great dose of vegetables, protein, and some cheesy goodness. Best part? No boiling noodles, a quick *zesty* red sauce, and easy chicken finished in the oven. Perfect to melt your cheese and brown your garlic bread under the broiler. And go back for a second slice of this delicious bread! No pasta = extra bread 😉
My parents are guaranteed a remake of this when I come back to Minnesota for the holidays. Perfect for a cold-weather meal, and a bomb diggity bottle of red wine. I’ll leave the garlic bread cooking to my mom though. Because, I’ve got to be honest, it’s always a million times better when your mom makes it!
The best part of my day is warming these up for dinner. Unfortunately, as expected, we’re out of garlic bread. Lesson learned – buy double next time!
Remember to follow @anappleadayonline on Instagram!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- Small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil leaves
- Salt (1/2 tablespoon) and pepper to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- ¼ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Buffalo Mozzarella cheese – one slice/chicken breast
- Zucchini shredded with a vegetable peeler or spiralized - no need to cook, the hot food will soften
- Parsley for topping
- 1 Whole Grain French baguette
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in medium saucepan. Add garlic and onion, browning, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and spices and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Toss breadcrumbs, panko, and Parmesan in shallow baking dish with Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Dredge the chicken in breadcrumb mixture. Add to hot skillet and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer chicken to new casserole dish and into the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- To prepare your garlic bread, slice French baguette in half and spread butter and about 1 garlic clove/serving.
- At the end, place mozzarella on top and heat under broiler until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.
- Put your bread, buttered side up under the broiler and watch closely. It should take about 5 minutes to brown and look delicious!
- Serve with zucchini noodles on bottom, topped with chicken, sauce, and chopped parsley.