Soup season! *GROUP CHEER* Since tacos are one of my main food groups, it only makes sense to put all the taco toppings into SOUP and call it a day. I’ve made three Mexican dishes this week and I ain’t even mad about it. Maybe I’ll mix in some breakfast burritos and I can have Mexican food for every single meal of the week. Maybe I’ll open up a Mexican restaurant out of my apartment.
As always, I’m a huge fan of “Cook Once & Eat Five Times” kinda thing. A big batch of this makes meals for a week OR you can freeze half. Per usual, this meal is flexible. If you’re a vegetarian, substitute the chicken for extra beans (for protein) and some extra peppers or corn for deliciousness! For my gluten-free and dairy-free friends out there, double check your toppings to make sure they work for you.
True Story #1: I asked my boyfriend to sharpen my superb chopping knife before I whipped up this meal for you guys. I swiftly cut off the end of my left index finger. I never knew it was this hard to not use one finger on my non-dominant hand. IT’S REALLY HARD. Washing my hair is incredibly difficult.
True Story #2: WHEN YOU CUT SERRANO PEPPERS, MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS ARE SUPER CLEAN BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR EYE CONTACTS OUT. Or it will result in burning eyes for about 5 minutes. I’ve done this several times. I think I’m slowly losing vision in my right eye because of this.
With my true stories, it’s obvious I’m a bull in a china shop. So, this soup is a lifesaver. Quick, easy, and delicious. Good luck! Comment below with any fall recipes you’re looking for this year!
- 1 lb. cooked chicken breast, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (with the juice)
- 1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. chipotle chili pepper powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- Additional toppings: avocado, greek yogurt (or sour cream), shredded Mexican cheese, cilantro, tortilla strips
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Saute peppers, onion, and garlic until fragrant and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and diced chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add your spices and beans. Let simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired toppings! My favorite combination is cheese, avocado, and sour cream. Enjoy!
To saute chicken breasts, I put a little (1 tsp) olive oil in a pan, season chicken with same spices as the soup, and cook on both sides until done (about 12 minutes).