Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!! I love, love, love this holiday. Everyone is Happy-Go-Lucky, on the hunt for green beer, Lucky Charms, and classic corned beef and cabbage. Not to mention, this year it coincides with March Madness which is doubly fun! My class this afternoon put me up to the challenge to bring them a tasty treat, and I gladly obliged.
I knew I wanted something that fully takes on the spirit of the holiday – and what says that more than Lucky Charms and Baileys? Plus Coffee!? Sign me right up. I’m pumped about how these turned out. A little bit about the recipe….apple sauce? In cupcakes? It’s delish – and it adds such moisture to the cupcakes! I love how they smelled like Baileys when I took them out of the oven! And the coffee buttercream exceeded expectations!
The only thing that could have topped these would be those fun little plastic shamrock rings we used to get in third grade. LOVE those things. I’m excited to wear everything green I can find today and enjoy a classic Jig dinner with Dan’s family tonight! Maybe I can bring any extra cupcakes if my class doesn’t come back for seconds! An Irish Blessing for you all:
May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft on your fields,
And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1½, 16 oz packages of confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup Baileys liqueur
- 1 box Lucky Charms, divided
- Blend butter and cream cheese until mixed and creamy.
- Add cocoa, coffee, and salt. Slowly add confectioners' sugar until desired sweetness.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until thoroughly combined and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add applesauce and mix until combined.
- Combine dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, and salt - in a medium bowl.
- Alternate between adding dry ingredients and Baileys to the wet mixture until mixed completely.
- Fill cupcake tins ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Frost with buttercream frosting. Add Lucky Charms no sooner than 4 hours before serving - the marshmallows can soften on the frosting.