Hi All! Happy New Year! I know it’s been a while since I posted – finals and the holidays got the best of me. But I had an amazing time back in Minnesota. We attended 2 Christmas parties, watched copious amounts of football, went to a fantastic sparkling wine and appetizer cooking class, attended mass on Christmas Day and headed straight up to Lutsen, MN where we got to enjoy the slopes and a quaint little cabin, 20 feet from Lake Superior.
I got to come back for NYE and celebrate with Dan and his family with a bomb diggity meal of mussels in spicy thai curry sauce, homemade caesar salads (I’ll share the recipe soon!), pasta carbonara and crab legs. And a (couple) bottles of champagne. It was amazing. But, with all the imbibing and fantastic food I’ve had lately, it’s time for the “new year, new me!” cliche.
One of my favorite magazines (which I’m sure I’ve mentioned a few times) is Cooking Light. They’re not one of those mags that is 20% recipes and 80% advertisements – it’s awesome, healthy recipes cover-to-cover. I picked up the Jan/Feb issue which is JAM packed with stuff, including this slow cooker chicken tikka masala recipe! I always wanted to try cooking Indian food and was excited about the hands-off aspect of using a crockpot.
Needless to say, it turned out fantabulous. I even got to go to the local Indian grocery store, where the owner gave me a trick to making the naan bread taste equally as fantabulous. So, I’m begging you. Pull the trigger, buy the spices and whip this bad boy up ASAP.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cans unsalted, diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1½ tbsp. garam masala
- 1½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground red pepper - I used red pepper flakes and it turned out great!
- 4 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (but boneless or chicken breast work well too)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 rounds of whole wheat naan
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Prepare your onion, garlic, and ginger. Set aside.
- Prepare your spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and sauté garlic, ginger, and onion until fragrant and softened - about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add diced tomato and tomato paste. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add spice mixture and stir to combine.
- Whisk flour and water together in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to saute pan and combine.
- Put tomato mixture and chicken into crockpot.
- Cook on low for 7 hours
- Set crockpot to high and add coconut milk. Stir until combined. Let cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with warmed naan, topped with a tablespoon of greek yogurt and cilantro. Enjoy!