It’s been a while! Finals season got a little dicey with 5 final projects and 88 pages to write. But that’s long gone and I have 6 (SIX!?!?) weeks before medical school starts back up again!
Mini life update:
- I recently signed up for my “track”, which is the order you take the med school rotations. I’m starting with Family Medicine in July, quickly followed by Ortho! I’m leaning towards Ortho at this point, so I’m excited to see how the day-to-day life is.
- My trip to Nicaragua is closely approaching – we’re heading down there for a week in July to set up clinics and help everyone who lives there. I’ve heard great things about this trip and I’m beYOND excited. I’m also successfully vaccinated for Hepatitis and Typhoid Fever. Win!
- Since my last post, Dan and I schlepped all our stuff to a rental house! One month later, everything is pretty much put together and the dogs LOVE the backyard. His parents got him a grill for his birthday….which means lots of summer grilling recipes coming your way!
On that note, without further ado…I present you the most indulgent/easy/delicious/knock-your-socks-off side dish. And of COURSE it’s from the fabulous Chrissy Teigan cookbook that Dan got me for my birthday (smart man). I’ve made a few things out of there, and each one is better than the next! This one might take the cake.
Fun fact about me: I had braces for 7…s-e-v-e-n….years. So corn wasn’t exactly my best friend. However, sweet corn was on sale at the grocery store (Kroger for the win!) and it looked delicious so I wanted to try and whip something up for a Mother’s Day barbecue. And nothing says “crowdpleaser” more than corn charred, swiped with mayo, rolled in a parmesan-cotija-spices combo, and squeezed with a lime.
Do yourself and your grill-friends a favor and whip this up for all the sunny get togethers this summer! It won’t disappoint.
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ears of corn, snapped in half
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- Cayenne pepper (or chili powder if you don't want spice)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
- Turn the grill on to medium heat. Allow to preheat for a bit.
- Combine the parmigiano, cotija, and black pepper on a large plate or baking sheet.
- Rub the corn and coat with vegetable oil. Season with salt.
- Cook on the grill, turning every few minutes, until each side is cooked and slightly charred (about 15 minutes total).
- Brush each warm piece with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Roll in the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with cayenne pepper/chili powder and cilantro.
- Serve warm with the lime wedges!