SCANDAL PREMIERE IS TONIGHT!!! I am beyond excited. For those who haven’t seen the show, I cannot recommend it enough! Such a guilty pleasure of mine – all four seasons so far have been amazing, and I have high hopes for this one. Not to mention, I want everything in Olivia Pope’s closet because her pant suits are to DIE FOR.
So, as those who are avid Scandal followers know, it’s only appropriate for tonight’s dinner to be wine and popcorn. For those unfamiliar with the show – it’s the only thing the main character is ever seen eating/drinking. My boyfriend was incredibly thoughtful and got me the actual REAL Olivia Pope wine glasses for my birthday this year and I’m channeling my inner Olivia tonight. But this isn’t any ordinary red wine and plain ol’ popcorn. CHIPOTLE LIME popcorn followed with DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER POPCORN BALLS! Yes, you heard me. A full meal with popcorn.
At a recent experience at a wine tasting hosted by my fantastic friend Karen, she introduced us to Iberian peninsula wines. A personal favorite was the Rioja Crianza, a red wine that’s a crowd pleaser at a fantastic price point. She served it with some fantastic homemade meatballs – which were incredible – but it also goes well with spicy food! I designed the chipotle lime popcorn to pair perfectly with this Spanish red for our “main course” this evening.
For dessert! I’ve been wanting to make these salted chocolate popcorn balls from Hummusapien forever and this is the perfect excuse! With dark chocolate, chia seeds, and fiber from the popcorn, they’re not all that bad for you either. I added a little decadence with a dark chocolate drizzle.
Our dessert wine is anything but ordinary. I’m pairing the dark chocolate flavors with a Southern France red blend – “Tessellae Vielles Vigne”. Yeah, that’s a lot of French words that I’m not entirely sure what they mean. BUT the jist of this wine is it’s a medium bodied red, made with shiraz grapes – AKA chocolatey, berry flavors. Perfect with our chocolate dessert! Or so the wine connoisseur at my local wine shop said. And I can’t disagree.
It’s 3PM – plenty of time to run to the store and whip this up by 9PM tonight! Tell your boss you have to take the afternoon off to control the inner-workings of Washington DC through your Netflix account a la Olivia Pope. Keep your eye out for more Scandal inspired recipes to come!
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp. Brummel and Brown butter yogurt spread
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. chipotle chili pepper powder
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- ¾ tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. paprika
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- Bottle of Rioja, or similar red wine
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. flax seed, ground
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup natural, smooth peanut butter
- 2 oz. Ghiradelli dark chocolate bar (4 squares)
- 1 bottle red blend wine
- In a large pot (I use a soup pot), add your coconut oil over medium high heat and melt. Put two kernels in the pot, and when they pop, add the ½ cup popcorn kernels.
- With the top on, let kernels pop until finished. Occasionally swirl around to mix up the kernels.
- Once finished, remove from heat and place in large bowl.
- Melt your yogurt butter spread and drizzle over the popcorn. Mix thoroughly.
- Add your seasonings and lime juice, mixing again.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add your chia seeds, flax seed, salt, and cocoa powder to the popcorn. Toss until coated evenly.
- Melt the peanut butter and maple syrup in a microwave-safe bowl (About 1 minute). Stir until evenly combined.
- Pour peanut butter/maple syrup mixture over the popcorn. Using your hands, mix into the popcorn until evenly coated.
- Using wet hands (very important), shape your popcorn into golfball-sized popcorn balls. It's much easier to re-wet your hands after forming each ball. Place on baking sheet.
- Melt your dark chocolate bar in the microwave and drizzle over the popcorn balls.
- Let set in fridge or freezer for 40 minutes before serving. Store in fridge if you have any extras!
For the Dark Chocolate Balls: Serving Size = 1 ball
113 calories, 8 g fat (3 saturated, 4 unsaturated), 76 mg sodium, 10 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 3 g protein.