I recently was able to visit my family in Minnesota over Memorial Day Weekend! Wow, what a good time. The trip started off dog-free, as Dan and I boarded our dogs at doggy day care for the first time (I was a total nervous dog-mom!). After a short few flights, we landed in Minneapolis with beautiful weather and not a care in the world!
A few trip highlights: our walk around Lake Harriet with a delicious picnic afterward, the classic (and mandatory) trip to Mall of America, helping my parents replace their piano (!), and three home-cooked meals! Including mahi-mahi, steaks, delicious burgers, and this ULTIMATE PASTA SALAD! I grew up with my mom making this fantastic side dish almost every weekend during the summer. There’s just something about it that screams warm weather and summer-all-around with the fresh veggies and Mediterranean flavors.
I implore you to mix up this fantastic, Greek-inspired, vinegar-loving pasta for your next outdoor barbeque! You and your guests will not be disappointed – is a true classic.
- 1 box whole wheat rotini pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided in half
- ½ of a red, yellow, and green pepper diced
- 1 heaping handful cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 heaping handful pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- ½ medium purple onion, diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 "dash" celery salt and garlic salt (about ½ tsp.)
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1 tsp. each)
- Boil the pasta according to the directions. Drain, toss with half the olive oil (2 tbsp.), and let chill in the fridge until close to meal time - you want it to be cold, so plan on having it in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Prepare your vegetables - red, yellow, and green peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, and kalamata olives.
- Combine pasta with veggies, feta cheese spices, vinegars, and remaining olive oil (2 tbsp.).
- Taste and adjust as necessary - you want it to have a vinegary bite and plenty of pepper!